Friday, July 31, 2009

West Coast Tour - Day 4

Let me just say, right off the bat, that this was easily the best day of tour so far. We woke up at Joe and Mary’s, and Joe promptly made us some fucking amazing pancakes. We hung out there for a little bit, then headed about 20 miles down the freeway to go to a small lake for some sweet cliff jumping.

I actually have only been cliff jumping once before in my life and it was somewhere around ten to fifteen years ago. This is, mostly, because I’m a total pussy. I didn’t plan on jumping at all, but when we got up on the rock and I was the only one left to jump, I decided it would be a bit of a mistake not to do it, so down I went, shouting, “HAIL SATAN!” (Though not that loudly, because I was sick.) Sure, it was only a twenty foot drop, but that’s twenty feet more than I thought I would ever be doing. We waded around for a bit, letting the current take us where it wanted, did a little more jumping, then went to grab some grub at Pneumatic Cafe.

Pneumatic was super awesome, and had some really good vegan garlic cheese bread, amongst many other things, like some tasty smoothies and great pasta dishes. Who knew there was such great vegan food in Reno? I wish I would have known that last time I was here, but now I’ll know next time!

After eating there, we went back to Joe and Mary’s place and got some much-needed rest in before heading to the show at The Henden. Last time I played Reno, it was at The Eyeball, and that was easily one of my favorite venues I’ve ever been to. The Henden may as well have been the exact same venue, for how awesome it was. I guess there are just a bunch of amazing basement shows in Reno, because that’s all I’ve experienced there, thus far. Joe’s band, Contend, played first. It was their first show, and Joe had only picked up the bass three weeks earlier, for the first time, but you would have never known. After them was Crime Time, who kicked some pretty good ass, just like Out of Reach, who played right after that. Basically, the entire show kicked major fucking ass, and Reno is the kind of place where a punk can feel at home, no problem.

After the show, we hung out at The Henden for a little bit before heading back to Joe and Mary’s for another evening. Joe made us some fucking AMAZING dinner. Some “sausages” and awesome potato salad and some tasty-ass beans. Basically, none of us ever want to leave Reno, after how well we were treated there, and how much fun everything was. I mean, not that the rest of tour hasn’t been awesome, but there’s just something about Reno.

We all capped the night off watching Zohan, projected onto the wall. I hadn’t seen it before, and I guess I can’t honestly say I’ve seen it now, since I was falling in and out of sleep while it was on, but I caught enough of it to know that I need to watch the whole movie. Yup.

No comments: